Accredited by the Mexican Postgraduate Quality Program SEP-CONACYT (PNPC)
(Scholarships for Foreing Students)
PROGRAM NAME: Master's Degree in Food Technology and Sciences
General Office of Professions (DGP) Code: 506509
Typical time to degree: 4 semesters
Degree conferred: Master of Science in Food Technology and Sciences
Campus where it is offered: Hermosillo
DESCRIPTION OF THE DEGREE PROGRAM
To offer a framework of specialized academic training to graduates of Biological Sciences, Chemical Biologists, Chemical Engineering, Agronomy and related fields, forming professionals of an excellent level, with a solid preparation in various areas of science, who can carry out independent and original research that represents significant advances in the field of Food Technology and Science, with emphasis in the areas of grains and aquaculture products. Also, to provide an in-depth and comprehensive overview so that they can identify relevant issues in their areas of work and generate applicable knowledge.
• To prepare staff of a high academic level, under a tutorial system, through courses and original research, whose final goal is realized with a thesis.
• To form professionals capable of searching, identifying and solving problems that the country faces, concerning Food Science.
• To prepare high-level professionals capable of generating knowledge, by proposing, designing and developing research projects relevant to the development of food science and the solving production, food processing, and agricultural issues.
• To facilitate and promote the diffusion and dissemination of scientific knowledge in one or more disciplines of Food Sciences, and so strengthen scientific culture in Mexico and, particularly, in the region.
• To prepare professionals of the highest level with the skills to effectively transfer knowledge, train new researchers in turn and direct working groups that foster raising the level of science in Mexico.
• To articulate the research work of Academic Entities and their Lines of Generation and Application of Knowledge with the training of professionals.
• To present the results of research carried out through participation in specialized events and the publication of research articles in scientific journals indexed by ISI, for national or international circulation.
• To link with Postgraduate Programs at other institutions through specific agreements, as well as to have a hand in the contents of academic programs of related fields.
WHAT COMPETENCIES WILL I HAVE ACQUIRED BY THE END OF THIS PROGRAM?
Graduates handle scientific and technical information from specialized, current sources critically. They are also able to carry out basic and applied research to solve problems. Similarly, they are qualified for the training of specialized professionals.
• To have acquired a solid and current knowledge of food technology and sciences.
• To have the ability to support and develop basic and applied research independently, that contributes to the solution of relevant problems, with a scientific, technological, ethical and humanistic approach.
• To critically handle scientific and/or technical information from specialized, current sources.
• To be qualified to train specialized professionals.
PLAN OF STUDIES
Physical Chemistry of Food
Foundations of Toxicology
Flour Quality and Baking
Entomology of grains and stored food products
Grain and seed physiology and biochemistry
Handling of grains and stored products
Engineering properties of grains
Use of fishing by-products
Biochemistry of marine products
Quality control during the processing of marine products
Enzymes of marine origin
Physiology of marine products
Management and processing of marine products
Marine food microbiology
Toxicology of marine products
For both focuses
Carbohydrates, Lipids and Proteins: Nutritional aspects
Design and evaluation of experiments
Physical chemistry of proteins
Microbial physiology and kinetics
Functional Properties of Foods
Activation of Xenobiotics
Marine product packaging
Food quality evaluation
Sensorial evaluation of foods
Foundations of Chromatographic Methods: Theory and Practice
Advanced Food Chemistry
Advanced Food Toxicology Topics
Selected topics in aquaculture products
Selected topics in legumes
Selected topics in grains and oilseeds
Molecular and cellular biology
LINES OF GENERATION AND/OR APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROGRAM
1. Agri-food Biotechnology
2. Functional and biological properties of food
3. Food handling, processing, conservation and safety
4. Chemical, biochemical and nutritional properties of food
Dr. Josafat Marina Ezquerra Brauer
|3 and 2||
Dr. Benjamín Ramírez Wong
Dr. Mario Onofre Cortez Rocha
Dr. Enrique Márquez Ríos
Dr. Maribel Plascencia Jatomea
|1 and 3||
Dr. Francisco Javier Cinco Moroyoqui
Dr. Patricia Isabel Torres Chávez
Dr. Armando Burgos Hernández
|1 and 2||
Dr. Francisco Rodríguez Félix
Dr. Ema Carina Rosas Burgos
Dr. Rosario Maribel Robles Sánchez
Dr. Ofelia Rouzaud Sández
HOW DO I ENROLL IN THIS GRADUATE PROGRAM?
1. Application form with photo.
2. To have a degree in fields related to the Program (copy)
3. Bachelor's degree grade transcript with minimum average of 78/100 (copy).
4. Certificate of grade point average if the transcript does not have it (original).
5. Document that attests for TOEFL equivalent to a minimum score of 400 points (original).
6. National Graduate School Entrance Exam (EXANI-III-CENEVAL), minimum score of 1000 points.
7. If Spanish is not their native language, applicants will have to verify, by means of an examination by an official school of languages, sufficient understanding of Spanish in oral and written form.
8. Letter of commitment of exclusive dedication to the Master's Program.
9. Complete curriculum vitae with official supporting documents.
10. Three letters of recommendation from professors who are members of the SNI.
11. Certificate of medical examination (original).
12. Birth certificate (original and copy)
13. Unique Population Registry Code (CURP), for Mexican applicants. For foreign applicants, student visa FM2 or FM9 (2 copies).
14. Voter ID (both sides) for Mexican applicants. For foreigner applicants, passport (copy).
15. Marriage certificate, birth certificate of children and spouse (copy), if applicable.
Applicants must additionally comply with a profile showing skills and a vocation for scientific research and the generation of new knowledge, as well as dedication and love for scientific work.
WHAT DO I NEED TO GRADUATE?
To obtain the master degree, the student must:
- Successfully complete all course credits and satisfy the other requirements established in the corresponding graduate program;
- Certify comprehension of a language other than Spanish, as established by the Graduate Academic Committee of the respective study program.
- Pass the degree examination in the written and oral phase before an ex-profeso appointed committee.
- Comply with the provisions and requirements established by the Department of Academic Services for the issuance of the degree.
A single modality is established to obtain academic degrees in the Postgraduate Program of Food Technology and Sciences. This modality consists of two phases: written phase and oral phase. For this level, the written phase consists of an individual thesis, which shows a global and coherent research effort, following a scientific methodology. The oral phase of the degree exam consists of successfully defending the thesis before the tutorial Committee, in accordance with articles 61 and 62 of the REP.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO STUDY THIS DEGREE?
Cost of the EXANI-III
The applicant registration fee to study at the University of Sonora is published every year along with the new student admission announcement. See this information for the past year: https://dipa.unison.mx
Enrollment and tuition fees
When enrolling in one of the undergraduate or graduate degree programs students must pay all the corresponding fees based on the current minimum wage in the city of Hermosillo, pursuant to the Fee Regulation. See this information for the last year: fees and discounts per course http://www.serviciosescolares.uson.mx
Dr. Francisco Rodríguez Félix
Rosales y Blvd. Luis Encinas s/n, Col. Centro, C.P. 83000, Edificio 5P. Hermosillo, Sonora.
Tel: +52 (662) 259 2207, +52 (662) 259 2209